Isabel (& Josiah) Island

Eagan, Minnesota
I am a Christian, trying-to-be-crunchy wife and mama of two kids (nearly 5 and nearly 3), who keep me very busy, as well as the mother of our angel baby who was born and went to be with Jesus on November 26, 2012. I also work full-time outside the home so I don't get to blog nearly as much as I would like about my children, but I do what I can!

Friday, January 30, 2009

Third update from Florida

Today is Friday and Luke and I are about to set off for our weekend getaway to a beach resort near Sarasota, so I thought I would update you all on the activities of our past few days with Isabel.

Wednesday, we decided to attempt the beach again, but this time with Isabel on a beach towel the whole time. We figured that if she did not like the feel of the sand, she would learn to just stay on the towel, and we were right! This time she did not cry, but she was still funny from time to time, because she kept trying to climb up into my lap because she did not like the uncertain feeling of the sand under the towel under her feet when she was standing up! Silly girl! I would bet that next year around this time, she will be running barefoot on the sand like all the other little kids we see at the beach! But she is our opinionated, strong-willed Isabel and that is part of what we love about her and what makes her unique, even if it does come with some challenges!

Speaking of strong-willed and challenges, the other thing that she has decided down here is that she is going to give us a really hard time about eating. She hasn't been drinking her bottles well, and at meals, she will love something one day and hate it the next. And even within the span of one meal, she will adamantly refuse to eat something one minute, and then the next minute point to it and fuss until someone gets it for her (juice, a bite of pears, whatever). There was one morning when she even refused to eat blueberry waffles, which have been one of her MOST FAVORITE foods in the past. Luke and I are in agreement that one of the most challenging things about having a toddler is the eating challenges. Some days I think to myself, "How is she possibly staying alive with the miniscule number of calories she has had today?"

Wednesday evening, Luke's sister Jess arrived, and we have spent the past day and a half with her. She is having fun getting to know Isabel more, and Isabel really likes her. The normal "stranger anxiety" never really made itself known with Jess, as she was able to pick Isabel up within the first half hour of being around her! She is going to take care of Isabel for the first few hours we are gone today, until Grandma and Grandpa get home.
Yesterday, the pool warmed up as much as it will the whole time we are here (79 degrees, which is still definitely chilly!) But I figured, to have Isabel get in the pool it was now or never. So, the two of us donned our bathing suits and waded in. She actually did not cry and even kicked her legs and splashed in the water a little while I was holding her on my hip. But when I tried to put her in the baby float, she did not want to go in it! I think she didn't like the feeling of the cool water on her tummy (hey, I don't blame her, I didn't either!) So, our time in the pool was short but I think it was successful!

So we are headed out for a much needed couple of days away, and will return Sunday in time for the Superbowl. This will be the first time that we have ever left Isabel for two consecutive nights, but she is going to be in excellent hands of people who will love her and undoubtedly spoil her while Mommy and Daddy are gone. We are not too excited that the weather here has turned rainy and chilly just in time for our getaway, but oh well, it will still be worth it for the R&R!

I added more photos to the FL album if you want to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment