Isabel (& Josiah) Island

Eagan, Minnesota
I am a Christian, trying-to-be-crunchy wife and mama of two kids (nearly 5 and nearly 3), who keep me very busy, as well as the mother of our angel baby who was born and went to be with Jesus on November 26, 2012. I also work full-time outside the home so I don't get to blog nearly as much as I would like about my children, but I do what I can!

Monday, January 5, 2009

A great sleeper

One of my favorite things about Isabel is her love of sleep, and her easy-as-pie routine of getting her down for naps and for nighttime sleep. She has been a champion sleeper since she was just over a couple months old, and we feel so blessed by this! Both Luke and I are wired in such a way that we really need our sleep in order to function well, and we are so thankful that God seems to have wired Isabel in the same way which means Mommy gets her sleep, Daddy gets his sleep, Isabel gets her sleep, Mommy is happy, Daddy is happy, Isabel is happy, and the circle goes round and round!

What led me to journal about this today is that I just laid Isabel down for her afternoon nap. She was super tired today for a couple of reasons. 1) She just cut two top teeth yesterday, and so she was up in the middle of the night in pain from those (RARE for her to be up in the middle of the night). She was up from about 2:45 until 3:20 or so when the Motrin kicked in and she was able to rest comfortably. When I laid her down at 3:20 am, she was WIDE awake, and after shutting the door, I never heard anything from her until 7:30 this morning. 2) This morning, our friend Christian came over to play. He is going to be 2 in February, and he is such a sweet boy and is so good playing with Isabel, even though she is half his age and half his size! She wanted to do everything he was doing, just followed him around and wanted to play with the same toys he was playing with. So, she was awake this morning before her morning nap for nearly twice as long as she normally is, and took a later and shorter morning nap as a result. So, that leads me to the afternoon nap. When I was feeding her lunch around 1:30, she was visibly getting tired and fussy. By the time we were done eating and it was time to wipe her hands and face (which she normally doesn't like anyway), she went into absolute hysterics. I could tell she was ready for her nap even though she normally plays with toys for a bit after lunch. I thought I would try to calm her down a little, so tried to sit in a chair with her and rub her back, but no dice, she just kept pushing back from me. So up to her room we went, and I changed her diaper, with her crying the whole time. We walked over to the crib, still crying. The minute she could tell that I was going to put her in her crib, I could feel her body relaxing. And by the time her head hit the mattress, her two fingers were in her mouth, crying was over, and I never heard a peep from her. I LOVE this about her. When she is tired, all she wants is her bed. I hope and pray this lasts long into her toddlerhood and childhood!

Some people (Luke included) tease me about the sleep sack that Isabel still sleeps in for naps. But I wouldn't trade it in for the world. With this amazing pattern she has developed, she can sleep in a sleep sack for naps until she is 4 years old for all I care, as long as she continues to not fight naps! (I am semi-kidding, but really, I have no problem with the sleep sack right now, I don't think it is doing her a bit of harm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment