Isabel (& Josiah) Island

Eagan, Minnesota
I am a Christian, trying-to-be-crunchy wife and mama of two kids (nearly 5 and nearly 3), who keep me very busy, as well as the mother of our angel baby who was born and went to be with Jesus on November 26, 2012. I also work full-time outside the home so I don't get to blog nearly as much as I would like about my children, but I do what I can!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Letter of the Week - J

This week, we learned about the letter J.
Memory Verse: Jesus said, "I am the light of the world" (John 8:12)
Words: Jesus, Josiah, Jenna, Jessie, jelly, jam, jammies, juice
Books: Lots!  See the widget at the end of this blog post!

This was our favorite Letter of the Week so far. We have lots of J things and people in our lives, so this was a fun one, and despite being very busy, we were able to fit in lots of J activities. On Monday, Isabel spent part of the morning at Jenna's, and the girls decorated their letter J's with jellybeans (a big thanks to Jenna for this idea as I was wracking my brain and not coming up with anything to decorate the letter with this week!) Isabel also worked on a jigsaw puzzle that she really liked there. She has been liking puzzles a lot lately, and shocking me with how good at them she is when left alone to work on them!

Isabel was lucky enough to be able to make Jell-O jigglers twice this week. We made them on Wednesday night, and she made them again on Thursday night with Kyla who came over to babysit. I wanted to do J's and jets, but couldn't find an airplane cookie cutter so we settled for just J's.

We had a great time going to the library this week and choosing J books, then reading them throughout the week. Isabel especially liked "Jump, Frog, Jump" because she got to "read" every third page in the book which said "Jump, frog, jump!" She also liked "shouting" NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED! on the last page of that book. Below are our favorites from this week.

And our last J activity of the week was to make a J poster on Saturday night. I know it is too big of a commitment for me to help her make a poster every week, but this is one that we really wanted to make because we have lots of J people in our lives that we are very thankful for:
  • Josiah: he is my son and Isabel's baby brother. His wrinkly-nosed smile lights up the rooms in our home many times a day. Our family would not be complete without him!
  • Jessie: she is my sister (in-law) and Isabel's auntie.  Though the miles separate us it is clear that the kids are continually on her mind and she is as dear to us as if she were right next door.
  • Jenna: she is my dear friend, our children's nanny, and Josiah's godmother.  She has poured hours of love into both Isabel and Josiah over the years, and she inspires me to be a better parent who takes a more creative, active role in my children's learning.
  • Jack: he is our next-door neighbor and friend. He is a tender-hearted boy who is often willing to play with our kids in the yard or on the trampoline (one of Isabel's favorite activities).
We had a blast making the poster and Isabel wrote almost all the words (I would tell her each letter to write and she would write it). I am hopeful that the more of these we do, the more she will want to practice writing her letters. Once again, yay for Letter of the Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment